Tuesday, May 24, 2011

First drawer fit

I woke up with no alarm at six this morning and raced down to the woodshop to take the clamps off the case. I only had time to fit one drawer, but it was a great feeling.

Next came the dubious task of leveling the protruding tips of the pins and tails. The slow set epoxy reaches full strength in 24 hours, so it was essential that the protrusions be leveled before the epoxy reached full hardness. Otherwise your blade dulls in three passes and you may as well use an angle grinder to level the joints. I've made the mistake of waiting too long before and never want to be there again. (One of my lucky friends may remember sharpening my 4 hand planes one after the other as I dulled each out and grabbed the next so that the leveling could continue until the wee hours of the morning for a series of scrabble inspired benches).

No comments:

Post a Comment